Monday, February 20, 2006

for next time

I keep thinking about all the things I could have done better. The main one is, I think we needed more short, quick group exercises to get things flowing! I was reading about some of Chris Heuer's BrainJam exercises, and thinking about past classes and workshops I've been at in grad school or other situations. "Write two sentences, one about what you want to learn, and another about what you want to teach today." That kind of thing. To make them happen, someone just has to stand up and say, "Pay attention. Now we're doing this." I'm not used to taking that role, and frankly this weekend was a (good) stretch for me!

For example, I love the idea of passing out three index cards, writing three words to describe (ourselves, what we want out of the experience, whatever) and then passing them up, reading them out, taping them to the wall. There's a one-minute exercise that transmits potentially useful information from everyone to everyone.

Teaching by example one-on-one is powerfully effective. I thought of pairing people up in teams for 15 minutes of "teach someone something" and then the pair should switch off student/teacher roles, or rotate; this could be done with a public signup list of who can teach what and who wants to learn what. If not "teaching a skill" it could be "showing what my experience is; my favorite sites; my surfing pattern; what my desktop organization or workflow is."

Any more suggestions?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Tsao said...

Good ideas, all.

I mentally resisted the "7 minutes of yourself" exercise, but it was helpful. A great warm-up as well as an introduction and a focus exercise (Why am I here?)

Also think the one-on-one is a good idea. I'm trying to get together with Tara to teach her blogger and links and all that fun stuff. Some kind of mentoring one-on-one might be very productive and helpful for future camps.

Other than that, more dancing and nudity would be cool. Grace, can you put in a hot tub before next time? Okay, thanks.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like all those ideas.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home